Firework safety tips
The Fourth of July is a holiday of sensations – the colors of the country, summer heat, barbecue on the grill – and the signature crackle and pop of fireworks. But that signature Fourth of July tradition can turn dangerous if consumer fireworks aren’t handled with caution.
While the City of Sioux Falls prohibits the use of most fireworks within the city limits. Sparklers and snakes are allowed, however, because the devices don’t have any audible report or launching component. But don’t let their size or lack of projection fool you, sparklers can still reach temps of up to 1000 degrees Fahrenheit and cause third degree burns.
An adult should always be in charge of lighting the sparklers, as this is the most volatile part of usage. It’s safest to use sparklers while standing, and don’t allow children to run while holding them.
All spent devices, including the sparklers, should be dropped in a bucket of water, since parts of them can remain hot long after use.
Overall, respecting even the smallest firework devices will ensure that the holiday stays safe and fun. For more information or to take a fireworks safety quiz, visit the National Council on Fireworks Safety at FireWorksSafety.org.